I have written several blogs on how Cohesity protects your data at the primary site. Cohesity protects the following workloads today:
- Virtual Machines on VMware
- Physical Windows and Physical Linux
- Granular restore of: Files, Folders, MS SQL, MS Exchange and MS SharePoint
All built in-to an infinite web-scale hyper-converged platform that scales linearly with your data growth.
But where it gets even more interesting is how Cohesity will simplify and potentially improve your DR solution. Everyone will agree that the first priority is to have an off site copy of the data. Once we have that we have to consider the RTO (Recovery Time Objective) How much time do you want to spend to bring the data back online.
Cohesity is now changing what we can expect from our DR solutions. By leveraging a policy based approach to data protection. (blog here) We now simply define how many local and remote copies we want of our data. We then apply that policy to virtual machines or physical servers. This operation will take less than 1 minute for an inexperienced VMware administrator 🙂
One option could be:
- Local backup retention: Daily backup keep for 30 days
- DR backup retention: Daily backup keep for for 7 days AND Monthly backup keep for 3 years
If we need to recover from our disaster site, this is where Cohesity truly shines. Since everything is self-contained inside the Cohesity OS (management interface, backup software, de-dupe storage) we just need the Cohesity Cluster and a standalone ESXi host to perform the restore. If the ESXi host is without any storage no problem. In fact Cohesity will let you run VM’s on your disaster site directly from a Cohesity NFS based datastore presented to the ESXi host. The restores are instant because of our own SnapTree technology.
i understand Cohesity is an application that we can use it for site redundancy
1- is that such as SRM ( site recovery manager) ?
2- what are difference between srm and Cohesity ?
3 – will it switch to my redundancy site if my protection site fail?
4 – will automatically sync data between two sites?
1. No it is not a SRM product. SRM is good for failover plans and to bring everything online in a specific sequence
2. Many – in general Cohesity will make sure all VM’s are async replicated from site A to B. You can then bring them online. SRM will be able to make a specific plan for how to bring them online